Apparently today's Ada Lovelace Day, an international day of blogging to draw attention to women excelling in technology. It made me think of Sherry Turkle and her highly intriguing work on computergames and the internet and multiplayer-games. I am fairly sure I first learned of her as a part of some mediabook (darn, can't find it atm) and became intrigued by her viewpoints and attitude towards children and gaming - the research was from 1984 (the research was put together into a book - "The Second Self - Computers and the Human Spirit" - but I am fairly sure I haven't read it - just an excerpt). Wow. A researcher, and a female one at it, who wasn't as judgemental as one might think (I guess I am the judgemental one thinking in stereotypes now) towards games and new media combined with children. Shortly after I purchased "Life on the Screen - Identity in the Age of the Internet". It opened my eyes on how I viewed certain things, put words to how I myself experienced the whole thing growing up w/the Internet and ofcourse - it inspired me greatly. I wish I had gone further down that path re. the University and my study-choices. Hm. Definitely wanna reread that book + "After the death of childhood - growing up in the age of electronic media". Does anyone who reads this blog happen to know of more & newer books on these subjects? I'd love to try update myself some in the field for fun :)

Anyways. Kinda sparked my curiousity and I went to one of my fave-sites when I was an active student and fooled around some. I recall a gamergirl-research site aswell, but I can't for the life of me seem to relocate that one. Ohwell.



Suppose I need to insert something scrappy here...so I guess I'll share a peek at my soon-to-be-finished minibook..just some more embellishments needed, some tags or maybe a mini-within-a-mini and pondering on how to bind it is all that's left :)

Title: Metrodad