Earlier this week I got to do something really fun.

I got to fly a helicopter.

Whee!!

Now I realize there’s a lot of people who’s involved in helicopters like, every day, or at least on a regular basis. However, I’m not one of them. Hence my “whee!”

It all started with these two oil platforms coming in for maintenance out at Hanøytangen. They get a lot of oil platforms out there, but never two at once. It was sort of a big deal out there, and they decided to rent a helicopter to document the event. Luckily for me, the newspaper got wind of this and even better, instead of asking for press-photos as they initially thought they inquired if there were room in the helicopter for me. If I wanted to go, that is.

Um, hello??

Get to sit in a helicopter for the first time in my life, and be allowed to take photos through an open door up in the air?? Hell yes!!!

They were very nice about it out there, and let me attend one flight. Me and two other photographers – one of their own and one from another newspaper, plus two other people. We split in two groups as the helicopter only had room for five – and as there were only one side that was openable in a way so we could take photos out from that side w/o having to shoot through windows. The whole flight took approx 10-15 minutes, circling around the base. I even managed to snap photos of the main-part of the island (the south part) through the windows on my side. You can see the bridge connecting the island with the mainland, and Bergen city on the other side to the left of the photo above.

But for the mainpart of the flight I was sitting in the helicopter trying to snap photos out from between the other photographer, who was sitting on the open-door side. He was really nice and we alternated snapping photos out through the opening. It was a beautiful sunny day, and even though I was afraid the direct sun would be too harsh I’m glad to find the majority of the close to 200 photos I managed to snap during the trip turn out really really nice. Especially with the sea being so still – got such awesome reflections of the rigs on it – see below.

I tried to mind the horizon and pay attention to the composition but it was kinda tough. Especially when not sitting really comfortable as I alternated leaning over another guys lap trying to mind not getting his legs or elbows or the helicopter in the frame holding the camera as steady as I could and retreating letting him take photos too.

When we were done taking photos we had a deal with the pilot to give us a sort of a “funride” back to the base. It felt like a rollercoaster, only way cooler. And it made me so nauseated for HOURS afterwards. I think I am feeling a little bit sick only thinking of it even now.

But. It was so worth it :D :D :D

I’ve flown in a helicopter!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D